Assignment 1: Employee Turnover
Employee turnover in the hospitality industry averages 400% annually. This means that, on average, 100% of the staff of a restaurant, hotel, airline, cruise ship, etc. is replaced four (4) times per year. There has been extensive research on employee turnover and employee job satisfaction. Using the Internet or the Strayer Library, select one (1) hospitality industry type such as fast-food restaurants, luxury hotels, specialty hotels, or any other type of hospitality interest and identify the main problems associated with that industry and employee turnover. Suggest ways and methods to address the high turnover rate.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
- Describe the type of hospitality industry and its main categories of employees.
- Summarize three (3) primary reasons that turnover is so high in this industry.
- Recommend one (1) method to address each of the three (3) primary reasons that turnover is so high in this industry.
- Recommend one (1) method to improve job satisfaction in general for this industry.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Develop a plan for managing and improving quality in a hospitality operation.
- Describe the management attributes contributing to providing service quality.
- List and describe basic service paradigms.
- Differentiate between high- and low-performance organizations and identify contributing factors.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in quality service assurance.
- Write clearly and concisely about quality service assurance using proper writing mechanics.
Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills. Click
here to view the rubric for this assignment.