You will use the critical thinking skills you have been developing to identify violations of the Universal Intellectual Standards and Logical Fallacies in the essay, “Sweatshirts from Sweatshops” on pages 406 – 407 of your textbook.
On pages 387-396 of your textbook, you will meet Tanya, Kevin, Elise, Dalton, and Hope. Tanya encounters a series of discussions first with Kevin, the second with Elise, and the third with Hope. The textbook describes how to critically assess the arguments in the first two discussions (Kevin and Elise and Dalton). Use these ONLY as examples for how to use critical thinking skills.
In addition, you will want to review the Universal Intellectual Standards on pages 335-347 and the Logical Fallacies on pages 396 – 399 in the textbook.
You are to assess the arguments made in the essay, “Sweatshirts Sweatshops,” found on pages 406 – 407.
Read “Sweatshirts from Sweatshops” on pages 406 – 407 and complete the following:
- Part 1 – Applying the Universal Intellectual Standards
- Provide specific examples from the essay that violate two of the Universal Intellectual Standards.
- Specify what is needed to correct the errors.
- Part 2 – Identifying Logical Fallacies
- Provide specific examples from the essay that are considered logical fallacies from the list provided on pages 394-397 of the textbook. List two fallacies that are violated.
- Explain WHY the essay is flawed by describing the logical fallacy by name and applying the fallacy to the statement.