In the school counselor role, many situations come along that can be classified as tragic, adversely impacting child development. The “Adverse Childhood Experiences” study shows a correlation between such circumstances and the probability of substance use in adolescence or adulthood.
Being familiar with this study will help you to recognize signs and symptoms of substance abuse in children and adolescents, to recognize signs and symptoms of living in a home where substance use occurs, and to offer support while providing healthy coping strategies.
For this assignment, you are to write a (4–6 page) research paper on results from this study using your text plus five other supporting references. Include the following:
- Address theories and etiology of addictions and addictive behaviors.
- Describe systemic and environmental factors that affect human development, functioning, and behavior or effects from crisis, disasters, and trauma on diverse individuals.
- Identify ethical and culturally relevant strategies for promoting resilience and optimum development and wellness across the lifespan.
- Discuss best practices with evidence-based counseling strategies and techniques for prevention and intervention in relation to treatments and interventions for substance use in adolescents.
- Remember to communicate in a manner that is scholarly and consistent with expectations of an effective professional school counselor adhering to APA formatting.
Your assignment should meet the following requirements:
- Length: 4–6 double-spaced pages, excluding the cover page and references list. Include page numbers, headings, and running headers.
- References: Minimum of five current, peer-reviewed references.
- Format: Use current APA style and formatting, paying particular attention to citations and references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Review the scoring guide to ensure you understand the grading criteria for this assignment.
You must submit your paper to SafeAssign prior to submitting it for grading. Submit your work as a draft to check for any necessary edits.
- Once the assignment is finalized and all edits have been made, submit the final version to your instructor for grading using the following file naming format: Your_Name_AssignmentNumber_Assignment_Title (example: Ima_Learner_u03a1_Client_Description).
- Verify you have reviewed your SafeAssign report by providing the following comment in the assignment area: “I verify that I have reviewed the SafeAssign report for this assignment and this work meets academic honesty expectations.”
Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
- Detecting the Signs and Symptoms of Substance Abuse in Children and Adolescents Scoring Guide.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences and Behavioral Problems in Middle Childhood.
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs).