Chapter 9 of your text, Developing Nonprofit and Human Service Leaders discusses the need to expand the definition diversity from only recognizing observable phenotypical differences to less visible differences like affiliations or orientations. What does diversity mean to you?
Nonprofit human service organizations emphasize diversity inclusion and sensitivity when dealing with their client populations but often neglect to be inclusive and sensitive to the diversity of their own workforce. The authors of Developing Nonprofit and Human Service Leaders suggest that “diversity should be one of the guiding principles of a nonprofit organization.” Paper should be 350 words.
- Why is it so important to enhance diversity in human service organizations?
- In what ways can leaders unwittingly oppress employees who have been historically discriminated against?
To succeed in managing a workforce that is increasingly diverse, human service leaders will need to strive for cultural proficiency and acknowledge individual and group identity differences and similarities among populations in the United States.
- What are some things managers and leaders in the workplace should know?
- What do you see as solutions to decrease barriers to accepting workplace diversity?
- How can leaders and managers assist employees in overcoming and reducing preconceived thoughts (i.e., stereotypes, bias, and prejudice) about those outside of the dominant group?
- How can evaluating an organization’s values be helpful in regard to becoming a culturally sensitive and inclusive workplace?
Please read the following in your textbook, Developing Nonprofit and Human Service Leaders:
Chapter 9: “Human Resource”
In Chapter 9, you will discover the current rules and policies regarding hiring and recruitment, compensation and benefits, training and development, and performance management. Strategies for developing and retaining productive employees will be covered as well as techniques for dealing with employee lack of productivity. Creating a positive and stimulating work environment is the principal theme throughout the chapter.
Please read the following article that can be found in the Library:
Popescu, S., & Rusko, R. (2012). Managing Diversity in Public Organizations. Global Business & Management Research, 4(3/4), 235-247.