1) Visit two fastfood outlets (e.g., McDonald’s, Taco Bell, In N Out, etc). Observe the layout of the stores while you are there. Take some notes. Your observation should include: eating area, ordering counter, kitchen, restroom locations, drive-thru, etc. – only those that you can access freely).
If you are pressed for time, you can also visit a Food Court. IF you decide to do fast food outlets in a food court, you need to work work on 4 different stalls. You need to include discussion on layout of the entfood court to complete the eating area and the rest room location sections of the paper. You can also include the location of the signs and how this looks like. In a food court, prominence and food display is extremely important to attract people.
Of course, there are no drive-through services for food courts so no need to include this.
2) Answer the questions:
- Identify and describe the type of layout your location has.
- How does the store / food court layout support productivity?
- Compare and contract the store layouts of the outlets you visited OR the displays of the stalls if you are visiting a food court.
- Do different franchises (e.g., Burger King or Carl’s Jr.) have different types of layouts?
- Why do you think so?
3) Limit: up to 3 pages. Include the layouts of the stores you visited as an appendix (this is not included in the 2 page limit).