You wrote an essay and won the grand prize in the “Global Getaway” contest. Congratulations! You now have 5,000 U.S. dollars to spend on an international vacation. There’s only one catch—to claim your prize, you need to create and submit a budget that shows how you plan to spend the money. According to contest rules, you can spend the money only on the vacation—not for any other purpose. Whether you are managing money for a vacation, your job, or daily life, being able to create a budget is an essential skill to have.
In this Project, you will plan a vacation and create a budget. The total cost of the trip must be close to but not exceed 5,000 USD.
Part One: Plan
- Spend some time daydreaming about your vacation, and keep notes in a Planning Document as you do so. List your answers to the following questions:
- Where will you go—Europe? South America? Africa? Asia?
- How long will you be away?
- How many people will accompany you? Are any of them seniors or children (who may qualify for discounts)?
- What would you like to do—see historical and cultural sights? Go hiking or mountain climbing? Relax on a beach in the Caribbean? Take a guided tour or cruise?
- Will you stay in hotels or camp out?
- Use the links provided in the Project resources or conduct your own search to begin gathering travel costs for your vacation. Include links to websites you use.
- Make decisions about where you will go, when, for how long, etc.
Submit your completed Planning Document as a deliverable for this Project.
Part Two: Budget Spreadsheet
Create a vacation budget using a spreadsheet. Include the following within your spreadsheet:
- The number of people traveling
- Methods of travel (airplane, car, train, etc.)
- Accommodations (hotel, ship, camping, etc.)
- Food allowance
- Cost of activities (sightseeing, etc.)
- Other expenses (child care, house sitting, job coverage, etc.)
In addition to the items above, convert one of your costs from U.S. Dollars (USD) into the currency of the country you are traveling to. For example, if food in France will cost 40 USD per day per person, convert that amount to Euros using the appropriate exchange rate. Show the formula you used to convert the amount within your spreadsheet.