This Week 4 Individual Project Key Assignment will serve as a draft for the Week 5 IP Key Assignment.
This Week 4 IP will incorporate information from the first 3 phases because you will be discussing your knowledge of human capital and the various internal and external factors that affect human resources (HR) operations today. These operations include, but are not limited to, job design, workflow analysis, workforce diversity, recruitment and selection, workforce assessment, training, career planning, compensation and appraisal, benefits, and retirement planning. This project will allow you to experience how HR management deals with various internal or external challenges and how it affects the many operations involved in hiring, training, and maintaining employees. You may incorporate prior assignment material, but must include at least 1 new HR operations-related resource relating to the Phase 4 topic of compensation.
For this assignment, you will play the role of a member of an HR management team of an organization. You will also come up with a challenge or risk present in your chosen company that HR management must deal with effectively.
Include the following sections in your paper:
Company information: Please indicate the name of your company and provide a brief (1–2 paragraphs maximum) summary of the company. It can be an existing, small operation, a large company, a company that you work for currently, or a fictional company. Use the following to generate a brief description of your company:
- Type of company
- Description of its product or service
- Length of operation
- Number of employees
- Additional relevant information
Challenge: Describe challenge, threat, or risk that the company’s HR management must effectively handle. The challenge that you identify will depend on the type of company, location you choose, and the nature of the company. For example, your company could be located in an inner-city region with increased diversity, selling a product or service that is increasingly becoming available on the Internet; or located on or near precious natural resources.
Also, take into consideration how the current economy may play a role in the various functions of HR within your company.
Your report should address how the challenge will affect or change the following:
- Role of HR, including any organizational ethical issues
- Effectiveness of HR management practices.
- Job design, job analysis, and job descriptions, as well as the nature of work–life balancing efforts (e.g., telecommuting)
- Strategic recruiting decisions, screening and selection processes, and performance and turnover, including how these operations will be measured
- Plans for developing motivations for performance maintenance and retention, including how these will be measured by HR
Additionally, describe in your report what adjustments you will make to the following:
- Training needs, analysis, and evaluation
- Development of talent management
- Succession and career planning
- Performance management and appraisal
- Compensation, pay increases, rewards, organizational incentives, and benefits