Week 7: One-Way ANOVA
Discussion: Research Design for One-Way ANOVA
Similar to the previous week’s Discussion, this Discussion assists in solidifying your understanding of statistical testing by engaging in some data analysis. This week, you will once again work with a real, secondary dataset to construct a research question, perform a one-way ANOVA, and interpret the results.
Whether in a scholarly or practitioner setting, good research and data analysis should have the benefit of peer feedback. For this Discussion, you will post your response to the hypothesis test, along with the results. Be sure and remember that the goal is to obtain constructive feedback to improve the research and its interpretation, so please view this as an opportunity to learn from one another.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources and media program related to one-way ANOVA testing.
- Using the SPSS software, open the General Social Survey dataset found in this week’s Learning Resources.
- Using the General Social Survey dataset, construct a research question that can be answered by a one-way ANOVA.
By Day 3
Use SPSS to answer the research question. Post your response to the following:
- What is your research question?
- What is the null hypothesis for your question?
- What research design would align with this question?
- What dependent variable was used and how is it measured?
- What independent variable is used and how is it measured?
- If you found significance, what is the strength of the effect?
- Explain your results for a lay audience and further explain what the answer is to your research question.