You are the law enforcement official gathering evidence against a suspected online pedophile. The individual in question is suspected of enticing children through online chats, email, and text messaging. Additionally, this individual is thought to be using information obtained through credit card fraud to pay for his online activity and camouflage his identity.
For this project, you are to explain how you would gather evidence on the suspected individual. Thoroughly explain your course of investigation and methods of research, including (but not limited to):
- Description of the use of computer operating system data you would use in investigating the case.
- Your specific investigation relative to how the individual obtained credit card data.
- Method(s) you would employ in email tracking.
- Specifics in terms of chat investigation protocols you would employ.
- Specific techniques for online intelligence gathering you would employ.
- Method or methods you would employ for exceptions to the search warrant requirement to obtain information.
- Procedures you would follow for obtaining a search warrant if necessary.
- Methods you would use to:
- extract, transport, and store digital evidence from the suspects PC;
- research and recover computer files deleted by the suspect and;
- access data files encrypted by the suspect.
As part of your research for this project, investigate prior real-life cases with fact patterns similar to this case study. Include in your paper commentary on how the real-life cases may have impacted the current methods for handling digital evidence.
Note: This Assignment requires outside research. Use at least two credible sources beyond the text material and discuss how you evaluated the credibility of the resources used. You may consult the Kaplan Online Library, the Internet, the textbook, other course materials, and any other outside resources in supporting your task, using proper citations in APA style.
- Length should be 5 – 6 pages, excluding cover page and references page
- Viewpoint and purpose should be clearly established and sustained
- Assignment should follow the conventions of Standard American English (correct grammar, punctuation, etc.).
- Writing should be well ordered, logical, and unified, as well as original and insightful
- Your work should display superior content, organization, style, and mechanics
- Appropriate citation style should be followed